The Derby Weekend
The Derby opens at 4:00 PM on Friday June 15th, 2018. You must be registered by this time in order to participate (see Derby Events for more information). The first weigh-in will be open this evening and we will be posting the top 10 fish caught on Friday - so you will know what you have to beat to win one of the top prizes!
After you finish fishing on Friday you are welcome to come back to Millertown and enjoy a Fire and Fireworks at the Dock and Iron Wheel area. Everyone is encouraged to bring a musical instrument to have a Sing/Play along around the fire.
Sunday is short and sweet, but jam-packed! You can fish from sunrise until 11:00 AM, and then attend the Closing Ceremonies where we will award the top prizes. Expect that these will be as awesome as they have been in past years!
In between, we will be serving our popular Sunday Brunch (Big Breakfast style, with the traditional Newfoundland and Labrador addition of bologna and beans of course!), and make sure to head over to Mayne's Brook to watch the Bobber Race!
The Derby is a three day weekend fishing competition hosted by the Town of Millertown, an wilderness-lovers paradise located in Central Newfoundland and Labrador, Eastern Canada. Everyone who registers gets the opportunity to fish beautiful Red Indian Lake as well as take part in various family activities, and delicious meals made by our dedicated volunteers throughout the weekend.
This year the Derby will be held from June 15th - 17th, 2018 - Father's Day Weekend. An overview of the itinerary and Derby Rules can be found below, with details on the Derby Events page.
On Saturday the fishing starts as soon as the sun rises and all the avid fisher-people will be out on the water, or on the shoreline, eager to catch the big one. If you can't stand to take a break from fishing - You Don't Need To! Fishing will be open all day, with multiple weigh-in times available. However, you may want to lay down that rod for a while because the Buchans Fire Department will be serving moose burgers for lunch, followed by balloon animals and other games for the kids, and a Surf and Turf meal later in the evening.
Make sure to save room for some beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic available, of course) the bar will be open at the Millertown Fire Hall and we will be having a traditional Newfoundland "Kitchen Party"! Feel free to bring an instrument and everyone is welcome to join in and sing or be foolish, whichever you prefer!
- No participant is able to win the top prize more than 2 years in a row. However, they will still qualify for all remaining prizes.
- All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants must Register for the Derby no later than June 15th, 2018 at 4:00 PM
- Registration available from May 1st, 2018 at 8:00 AM to June 15th, 2018 at 4:00 PM.
- To qualify for the Early Bird Draw register between May 1st, 2018 8:00 AM and June 1st, 2018 8:00 PM.
- All Fishing must take place in Red Indian Lake only.
- Follow fishing regulations of Red Indian Lake.
- Follow Safe Boating and Water practices.
- Fish must be caught between 4:00 PM on Friday June 15th and 11:00 AM on Sunday June 17th, 2018.
There will be 2 Categories for the Largest Fish:
- Adult Category
- Top 10 Largest Fish
- Any participant that registers as an Adult will qualify for this category.
- Children can register as an Adult if they want to qualify for the Adult prizes, however they will still need a parent/guardian present.
- Children's Category Ages 0-7
- Top 5 Largest Fish
- Children's Category Ages 8-15.
- Top 5 Largest Fish
- Any participant that registers as a Child 16 years and under will qualify for the children's categories. This will include prizes that are age appropriate for the winners.
In the event of a tie by weight, the length will be the deciding factor. Each participant can only qualify for one of the Fish Derby top 10 prizes. Prizes must be accepted as awarded, no cash equivalent.
There will be Participant Draws occuring on Friday Evening and will be posted on Saturday to be picked up by Sunday, or risk forfeiting the prize.
The prizes and winners will be awarded on Sunday June 17th at 11:00 AM, during the Closing Ceremonies. During the closing ceremonies there will also be the awarding of other contests such as the Bobber Race and Auction.
Please note that prizes may change as we get more sponsors.